The female reproductive cycle is very complex and even a small change from what is considered normal can prevent ovulation.
There are 4 events in reproduction:
- Ovulation: The release of a healthy ovum (egg)
- Tubal transport: The fallopian tubes need to be healthy and have a normal anatomic relationship with the ovary to allow capture of an ovum from a rupture ovarian follicle.
- Fertilisation: An adequate number of healthy sperm must be deposited at the cervix around ovulation and the functional cervical mucous must thin to allow easier access for sperm to the upper genital tract.
- Implantation: Occurs when there is a receptive uterus environment for adhesion and implantation of an embryo and subsequent foetus.
Infertility or delayed conception may occur due to the following:
- Cigarette smoking
- Diminished ovarian reserve
- Endocrine disorders
- Heavy metal toxicity and environmental toxin exposure
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Premature ovarian failure
- Tubal factors
Herbal Medicine Treatment Goals:
- Improve fertility potential and individual fertility factors
- Improve oocyte health and receptivity to sperm
- Modulate and support hormone production and utilisation (including gastrointestinal and liver health)
- Prevent miscarriage and address relevant factors if there is a history of miscarriage
- Support the communication between the endocrine organs
- Reduce oxidative stress and enhance endogenous antioxidant systems
- Manage and address aetiological factors including stress, infection, toxicity, metabolic syndrome, and inflammation
- Support channels of elimination: liver, kidney, lymph, gastrointestinal and skin
Clinically most fertility clients I see are chronically stressed. They are often overworked, planning a wedding, renovating a house, exhausted looking after the family (secondary fertility is also common), not sleeping or eating well and they are stressed because they haven’t conceived as fast as they had hoped.
Reducing stress is usually part of a holistic naturopathic fertility plan.
Here a few tips you can start implementing today to reduce stress:
- Yoga: great for reducing physical, mental and emotional stress
- Insight Timer app: A free app with over 25,000 free meditations (Relaxing music, natures, sounds, guided meditation and more!
- Quality time: Re-learn how to switch off every day. Take 5 deep breaths, enjoy a cup of tea outside (without your phone), feel the sun on your skin and the grass beneath your feet, get a hobby (that is not associated to your job).
- Get outside: Enjoy nature, go for a walk, go to the park, have lunch at the beach or a rainforest walk.
- Have fun: laughing reduces stress, watch a comedy, catch up with good quality friends, be playful with your partner, remember that feeling as a child where fun was a priority and you didn’t have to think about any of the adult responsibilities.
If you would like support with balancing hormones and conceiving book a Naturopathic appointment with Kim and discover how relaxing and fun Kim’s yoga classes are too! Call Embrace Life 3491 6533.