It can be challenging navigating the stressors of life. Quite often I see women who have been busy for years even decades, who have been taking care of everyone else around them and have forgotten to take care of themselves.
Historically the Greeks and Romans have used this plant to treat emotional and physical problems of the heart. In ancient China Motherwort was promoted for longevity and the 17th century herbalist Nicholas Culpepper found this plant to be useful for depression.
Motherwort also known as Leonurus cardiaca or “Lion Heart” has traditionally and clinically been prescribed for:
- Heart disease
- Cardiac debility
- Effort Syndrome (unusual or unexpected fatigue with exertion. The fatigue is increased by mild exertion and may be more pronounced in the morning.)
- Female reproductive problems (Uterine, ovarian and period pain, amenorrhea – the absence of menstruation)
- Nervous conditions
- Chorea (characterised by involuntary jerky movements)
- Spinal disorders
- An adjunct therapy for hyperthyroidism
- Nervous cardiac disorders such as palpitations
“Venus owns this herb and is under Leo. There is no better herb to take melancholy vapors of the heart… and make a merry, cheerful soul”
- Nicholas Culpeper, 17th century herbalist
Balancing the heart and the female menstrual cycle each stem of Motherwort stands up to 5-10 feet tall with a rhythmic quality of balance as each pairing of leaves along the stem reaches higher almost symbolizing the steadying of mind, body and soul.
Do you need some TLC? It is time to take care of you?
Book an appointment with our Naturopath Kim and discover how natural medicine can nourish physical, mental and emotional wellbeing and restore balance back into your life.
Call Embrace Life 3491 6533 today.
- A Clinical Guide to Blending Liquid Herbs by Kerry Bone